In order to be registered, all students must pay two separate fees:
- The Activities Fee helps cover the cost of tournament registrations, team workshop, all material costs (printing, scripts, visual aids, etc), as well as judge costs.
- The Booster Fee helps cover the cost of hosting our tournaments (food for judges & concessions), memberships (NSDA, 4n6Fanatics, etc), assistance for hosting the end of year banquet, as well as additional coaching contracts, above and beyond what the school provides.
|Fee||Due||Amount||How to Pay|
|Activity Fee||Registration from 10/1-10/21||$175||Feepay|
|Booster Fee||11/1||$50||via Paypal: paypal.me/WestonkaSpeechBC|
Or, Mail a Check to “WSBC” at:
P.O. Box 121, Mound, MN 55364
Financial assistance is available for both fees. Contact Lynne Peterson in the activities department at the high school. Lynne will work with you to set up assistance for the Activity Fee. Then, to protect privacy, Lynne will only share your information with Coach Jones, who will then mediate assistance with you for the Booster Fee.
Aside from fees, here are additional costs which your student(s) may have as part of the speech team:
- Marshall Speech Tournament – Please see the Marshall Tournament for details. This is an optional two-day tournament for students with at least 2 years or 10 tournaments in grades 9-12. Each student registered for this tournament will have to cover the cost of lodging and transportation. The exact amount will be determined and communicated in December. We will collect payment for Marshall via Feepay. This payment option will be open in Feepay from January 1st through January 23rd.
- Professional Attire – Please see Tournament Expectations for details on appropriate attire for tournaments. Depending on what outfit(s) you may already have for your student (and if they still fit), the cost varies for this. Just be aware that students must attend our practice tournament on January 12th in their tournament attire.
- Meals at tournaments – Concessions are provided at all tournaments, and in some situations we may stop for food after a tournament. Students typically spend between $10-$20 per meal on concessions. Students have the option to bring their own food as well. Just note that there won’t be access to microwaves, refrigerators, or freezers to store their food during a tournament.
- Team Apparel – Each season, team captains design apparel for our team to wear, to show our pride in the team. This is optional to purchase, but the cost goes down the more we purchase. The cost varies, but would not exceed $50.
- End of Season Banquet – Following the state tournament, in late April, we hold a catered banquet, and present awards to all students for various achievements throughout the season. The Booster Fee covers the cost of all students in speech, so they eat free! The cost for a non-speaker varies, depending on where the banquet is held, but the Boosters also defray the cost, so usually ticket prices are under $20.